Congratulations on your life-changing choice!
Because smoking is highly addictive and hard to stop without help, here are some places to start:
- Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline provides free:
- personal support
- patches, gum, or lozenges
- Call 1-800-784-8669 for more information
- American Lung Association has information:
- to help you quit
- for helping someone else quit. Learn how to be supportive in a constructive way
- Nicotine Anonymous offers:
- a “non-profit 12-step” program
- links to print materials
- a “Find Meeting” button to locate a group in your area
- Foundation for a Smokefree America website includes:
- resources for kids and teens facing peer pressure
- how to combat media images glorifying tobacco
- quitting tips
Did you know….
- According to the CDC, cigarette smoking accounts for 1 out of every 5 deaths in the United States every year.
- It is also expensive. The American Heart Association has this Cost of Smoking Calculator.
- Secondhand smoke – what other people breath when you smoke – causes serious health problems including cancer, asthma, and COPD.
- Smoking affects the health of your pets.
- Like humans, animals exposed to second-hand smoke can develop various forms of cancer and lung disease.
- If they lick their fur or feathers to groom themselves, they absorb the toxins orally.
- Smoke particles accumulate in the pet’s water and food.
Quitting can be hard, but it is the best choice for your health. Morningcrest Health Library is here to help. Please contact us if you want more information.
[contact-form to=’email@example.com’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]